Hiring a Scooter in a foreign country can be daunting at first. Being Managed by an Australian Bamboo Bikes understand this and would like to help you feel comfortable with the process so you can relax and enjoy your holiday – after all you’re here to have fun, right? You can read all you need to know here or give us a call on +66(0)926183239 or visit our website by clicking here.
1. Selecting the Scooter
We have a range of Scooters ranging from 99 to 300THB per day. We recommend that you take your time to discuss with our friendly staff where you want to go and what you will be doing. For instance, if you’re shopping in the city then we may suggest a Fino or Click 110cc. These are a carburetor model and may require the use of the choke when first started or early in the morning when cool. If you wanted to travel to one of the many lovely attractions just outside the city then a Fino, Spacy, Scoopy, etc. 110cc, which are fuel-injected, maybe the better option. If riding to one of the many mountains then a 125cc will probably be the best option. We have 125cc Scooters from the Mio for 179THB, Click 249THB to the newest model Click for 300THB per day. Whatever your need, we are here to assist you and make sure you have a safe and comfortable ride. We also have bigger scooters and Motorcycles but if you’re selecting them you probably don’t need much help in choosing the one you want.
2. Entering or signing the contract.
There are a few things you should know before signing the contract and be clear on so that you have peace of mind.
- 2.1 The fuel (gasoline) level of the Scooter must be brought back at the same level e.g. if the Scooter is hired at 50% fuel level, then it is to come back to the shop with 50% fuel. You will be charged at a fair rate similar to what you would pay at a service center if the fuel level is lower than when hired.
- 2.2 Hiring a Scooter is on a daily rate (24 hours). If you started the contract at 2 pm for one day then it is due back at 2 pm the following day. A late fee of 50THB per hour is applicable after you are an hour late. This is capped at the daily rate of the bike so there is no real penalty for having to much fun and not coming in as per the contract.
- 2.3 Any damage caused as a result of your action will be paid by you. We are fair and reasonable no matter what you have heard about hiring scooters in Thailand. We do not overcharge and do our utmost to make sure that our customers are treated fairly and with respect. It is important to note that punctured or flat tires are the responsibility of the lessee.
- 2.4 Medical insurance for the rider, passenger and any third-party involved is paid to a third party insurer “road accident victims protection company limited” as part of the registration process through the Thailand Government. We can assist and guide you should you need to make a claim.
- 2.5 Insurance for the Scooter can be obtained through us. We offer insurance for peace of mind for 125cc and under for 50THB per day for collision/damage, 50THB per day for stolen or theft or 20THB per day for lost/stolen helmet. (It is important to note that with the insurance you will still be liable for the first 4,000THB for collision and 20,000 for theft). As with all insurance, there are conditions so please speak to our friendly staff if you’d like to know more.
- 2.6 Out of hours service – Our staff are dedicated and work 12 hours a day. If you require them to leave their home and come back to work to service your needs a minimal call out fee of 1000THB applies.
- 2.7 When entering a contract, there are no cancellations if you decide to return the Scooter early.
- 2.8 Discount rates apply for weekly or monthly contracts.
Hiring a Scooter will require a deposit. We require a copy of your passport with current Visa and 2000THB for scooters 125cc and under, or you can leave your passport the choice is yours. Higher deposits are required for larger bikes.
4. Inspection of the Scooter
We will inspect the Scooter with you. It is important that you take good photos of the Scooter before leaving the shop. For your peace of mind, we will insist on this. If you do not have a camera then one will be provided for you. The last thing we want is to charge you for damage that was there before you rented it. This is the best practice for both parties.
It can be made by cash only.
6. Smile and ENJOY!
Other things you should know
You need to wear a helmet. Yes, we give you a helmet for free and you must wear it. You will see others riding around not wearing a helmet but besides being very unsafe, there are a series of cameras and police that will stop you and charge you with a hefty fine.
You legally need a motorbike license and if stopped the official rate is 400THB. Some customers have been charged more and some less than this but the official rate is 400THB. Any other license beside a Thai motorbike license will not work. You will require an international permit with an “A” stamp on it.
Chiang Mai is a beautiful place, full of kind and wonderful people. Please respect their culture and enjoy the Beautiful Mountains, Temples and all the other wonderful attractions on offer.